The first tablet I purchased was the Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet. I paid £60.00 ($90) on amazon and needed something to practice on and begin getting used to with. So this was ideal for what I needed it for, anyone who is looking to buy there first tablet and not wanting to shed out loads for a top of the range product I'd recommend buying this one. The feel of the pen on the tablet was the only thing I disliked, it took me a while to co-ordinate my hand with the on screen cursor. But at it's price and for what I was able to achieve with it I was pretty pleased.
After a few months of having this I feel like I'm happy with the functionality of it and ready to save up for an upgrade and investing in one that I'm able to draw right onto a screen with as It would be a lot more creatively beneficial for my work. The tablet drawing space is quite small so you do have to keep hovering over the tablet if your working on a larger document on screen but the pen does pretty much copy your movements and creates a realistic hand drawn finish.
What they say:
"Just getting going with your art? Transitioning from paper to computer-based work? The Bamboo is a great way to explore your interests, with a premium feel of the pen tablet and everything you need to get started in the box.
• Start something fun! Sketch, draw, paint, all on your computer with the new Bamboo Splash. You'll work both digitally and naturally, thanks to the feel of the Bamboo pen in your hand. Whenever your art and your computer come together, a Bamboo pen tablet is a must have!
• You can replicate pencils, chalks, oils and watercolors as you move the Bamboo pen naturally across the tablet. Create your own effects, experiment, and share your stuff with others digitally. Most of all, have some fun!"
• Accuracy: +/- .02 in (+/- 0.5 mm)
• Active Area: 5.8" x 3.6"
• Color: Black and Lime
• Compatibility: Windows 7, Vista SP2, XP SP3, Mac OS X.10.5 or higher, Intel Processor
• Connection: USB Type A (PC) , USB Micro (tablet)
• Max Data Rate: 133 pps
• Orientation:Reversible for right- or left-handed users
• Physical Size: 8.3'' x 5.8'' x 0.3''
• Pressure Levels: 1024
• Resolution: 2540 lpi
• Warranty: 6 months
• 1x Bamboo tablet
• 1x Bamboo pen
• 1x Spare pen nibs
• 1x Quick Start Guide
Some of the work I was able to create with this tablet and pen is below and I'm fairly satisfied with the finish that was achieved by using it.
Overall I'd give this a 3 out of 5 for any beginners looking to use something better than their mouse and wanting to learn how to paint and draw digitally.